Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Leaving home for the second time!

The past two weeks have been brilliant.
I think I was really lucky in going to the school that I went to and in staying with the host family that I stayed with, as I honestly do feel like part of the family now!

Apart from having my appetite tripled by my huge food intake, we've done absolutely loads.
At school we met the Lokayukta, who is basically responsible for reducing corruption and all of that kind of thing, which is rife in India. We also spent an afternoon at Janapada Loka, which is where we were able to see traditional, tribal like dance, which was thoroughly enjoyable. The place itself was like a paradise with palm trees, it was quite tropical.

James and I also took a baking class at the school, which everyone had a great time doing even though my 'scones' turned out as a fruit loaf and the second batch had to be thrown in the bin! The biggest cooking disaster that I've ever seen!

The school experience was brilliant and we learned a lot about education over here. I was based in a private school called DPS, and there were so many different activities for all of the students to take part in that I was quite amazed. We went to a commerce festival, a mock parliament session, and taught in some of the lower school classes, and I think all of us were taken aback by how articulate and confident the students were at speaking in public. we also learned about the intensity of 12th standard (A-level) exams, with some students getting up at 4a.m for coaching sessions before school just to get top marks! The competition really is so fierce here.

Home life was brilliant, I thoroughly enjoyed all of the Indian food that I tried and got to meet just about everyone that was living in our apartment block. Everybody from my family to the residents was really welcoming and hospitable and I had a great time. I went to Mysore palace and the temple which is nearby, and I even got to attend Independence day celebrations and open an ice cream parlour as chief guest!

No comments:

Post a Comment